Friday, July 13, 2012

Longs Peak

As many of you know, I work as a Professional Adventure Guide here in Colorado's Front Range. To put it bluntly, I get paid to play. A few months ago, a former co-worker of mine fired a parting shot across my bow on his way out the door. From what I heard, he told come of my co-workers that my guiding clients up Longs Peak was "a joke." So, as I normally do, I set out quite a few times in the month of June to prove him wrong. I can't tell you how many times I've been up Long's Peak now. I've studied the mountain so closely that I know it pretty intimately. I even know where many of the peaks connector trails flow off to, if I want to embark on some amazing long runs.

I don't want to sit here and tell you all about my trips up and down the peak. Just know that I finally guided the peak on June 30th and will again on July 30th. Funny, on June 30th, I managed pretty well with my client while my boss hunched over and puked his brains out near the Keyhole. I got a kick out of that. I've always been confident in my abilities. Well aware of what I am capable of and not capable of. Longs Peak, is a HUGE mountain and yet.. it's not unlike any mountain I've done back East. At 14,259' in elevation, Longs is the Northern-most 14er in Colorado and is the highest point in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was first climbed by John Wesley Powell (yeah.. that guy) back in 1868. Below are some of the pictures I've taken during the last month on Longs.


Front Range - 2AM - Below Mt. Doom
The Narrows 
1st 14er
Long's from Chasm Lake Trail 
Resident Marmot
Longs From The Boulder Field
Columbine
King's Crown Flowers (Red)