Monday, December 19, 2011

2011 Year In Pictures: Part 1

It's that time of year again, the end, when we take a look back at the year that was. In the next two posts here on Human Potential, we're going to take a look back at the year 2011, in pictures. We'll also top it off with a year in video montage which I hope you'll enjoy. Sometimes I feel like this past year lacked much of the true adventure that other years have had. The great thing about looking back is seeing how wrong I really am. 2011 was filled with life changes, accomplishments, journey and inspiration. I'm really looking forward to 2012 but for now.. here is what 2011 looked like.

January
You know you wanted to see it again. 2011 started with a very successful streakers program. About 6 of my fellow runners joined me by running 2 miles every day for all 31 days in January, completing with the naked mile on January 31st.


February
The Frigid Caboose Fat Ass 50K was a great adventure on top of 3+ feet of snow along New Hampshire's Rockingham Rail Trail. Team Robert joined us for the first half while Nate, Julie and I ran the rest of the way to Newfields.

Introducing Randy Pierce to the highs and lows of winter peak bagging was a real treat. We moved through 2 to 3 feet of snow in our attempt to summit Lafayette. Strong winds held us at bay, but learning that the view within is sometimes better then the view out was well worth it. Hearing Rnady hoot and holler on the way down while glissading was exceptional

March
I finally made it (back) to the summit of Mt. Jefferson with my friend Pat Perkins. We found the perfect weather window to enjoy a day up high in New Hampshire's White Mountains. In this photo I enjoyed feeding some peanuts and raisins to one of the local Gray Jays.

One of the most privileged talks I've been able to give to date. The Balsams Grand Resort in Dixville Notch, NH. I gave a talk on Human Potential in the same room where the first in the nation primary is held.

April
Sarah and I headed up to the Fool Scouts Ball, and event we had been to the first few editions of but had missed a few in between. This was the start of our farewell tour, a chance to say goodbye to many of the friends we'd made over the years.

A long weekend in Virginia afforded me the chance to run some trails while New England was still a bit frozen. Running around the fields of Bull Run in Manassas was simply amazing and a well deserved early season treat.

May
Still cannot believe that I got to spend the day with one of my lifetime heroes, Tedy Bruschi. Guiding him on an all day hike is, and will probably forever be, revered as one of the highest honors I've ever had. It was a fantastic day leading him around the Belknap Range of NH.

My final White Mountain hike as a resident of New Hampshire came with what many would view as a daunting task. You had to see it to to believe it, the way we lead Randy Pierce up Owls Head slide and to the top of Owls Head Peak, New Hampshire's most isolated 4K. Truly a proud moment.

Some said it couldn't be done and yet, I did it. I graduated from The University of New Hampshire with a Bachelors in Kinesiology: Outdoor Education.

Two days later, Sarah and I arrived in Colorado where we've since dug in our roots. Driving across country is an amazing journey. Especially when tornados twirl around your U-Haul in Iowa as you tow all of your worldly possessions.

June
And so I started my job as a Professional Guide in Colorado's Front Range. Here I am guiding on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.

It's very easy to sleep at night with visions of Front Range single track laid out in your head. There are literally hundreds of miles of single track right out my front door. This is one of my favorites along Dowdy Draw.

Stay Tuned For Part 2