Thursday, November 18, 2010

Imagine If



Ray Zahab has only been running/adventuring for the last 5 years. A Former pack a day smoker, Ray continues to show the world what is possible.. by simply believing in yourself. He ran across the Sahara and then ran across Antarctica as you'll learn in the video above. But the reason I've decided to share this video with you is not because of Ray's accomplishments, per say, but what he says at the end. When talking about young people when Ray says, "We can make the impossible, possible... Imagine being 13 years old, hearing those words and believing it."

Yes, imagine being 13 and hearing that "You Can Do Anything You Put Your Mind To." This is indeed the life I lived as a youngster. My parents told me time and time again that I could do anything I put my mind to, and I believed them. Even when I got older, and started telling them, "I want to do this... " and they sometimes fired back some hesitation in supporting me by questions whether or not I was biting off more then I could chew, I believed what they had taught me earlier. I was so invested in the idea that the mental power to believe and achieve rules above all else.

Over the years, I was told that I'd never hike the 4000 footers in one summer... I believed I could and I did. I was told that I'd never make a documentary film that people would want to buy... or sell 500 copies of it.. I did and sold 800. I was told that I'd never run 100 miles.. and I have. I was told I'd never get a college degree... I'm got an associates and in May I'm graduating with a Bachelors. I've started to wonder.. did my parents really mean it when they put that bug in my head? Or did I just take it far too literally. I guess what they meant matters not because I made the saying meaningful for myself.

And you can too! I recently gave a talk in the White Mountains of New Hampshire where I received some feedback from a gentleman who said, "The idea that someone can do anything they put their mind to is hogwash. Someone with an IQ under 100 would never become a neurologist." Which is probably true.. why would someone with an IQ under 100 want to be a neurologist? But that's not the point.. the point is, if you have heart, if you believe in yourself that you can accomplish anything... you can... and you will.

Now.. Imagine if it went one step deeper.. and this is where YOU come into play. Imagine if the 13 year old believed it... and then you helped foster it? Think about how much more productive our society would be if instead of people telling you why you couldn't, shouldn't or can't do something they spent more time supporting you to do, to achieve, to get there.. just think about it.. and then the next time someone tells you that they're going to do something so unbelievable, so unfathomable.. you'll tell them.. yes you can.. And I'm here to support you every step of the way.

Happy Trails
SJ