Thursday, May 6, 2010

Race Preview: McNaughton In VT 100


Project 2010 - Race #2
McNaughton in Vermont
Pittsfield, VT - 100 Miles
24,000' of Gain / 24,000' of Loss
48,000' of change
-------------------------------------------
(Elevation Profile of ONE Ten Mile Loop)
Back to Pittsfield, the place of many an epic adventure. I think I've run in every type of weather in Pittsfield, VT and this weekend looks to be no different. Previously in Pittsfield I've completed 2 Snowshoe Marathons and one Snowshoe 50 Miler. I've completed 3 fifty-mile ultra-marathons and tried my luck in one ball busting death race. I've even directed the former version of the 200 mile race. I've helped design and mark courses in Pittsfield. I've tested my meddle and patience. I've been torn to shreds by thorns, I've been burned by stinging nettle, I've collapsed in a hypothermic state and I've slept under the stars of a frosty night... all in Pittsfield.

As I head into Race #2 of my Project 2010, I'm not sure if there really is anything else that Pittsfield can throw at me that I haven't experienced within those mountains. This weekends weather forecast:
Saturday: Showers, mainly before 2pm. High near 50. South southeast wind between 8 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday Night: A chance of rain showers. Cloudy, with a low around 35. West southwest wind between 6 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday: A chance of rain and snow showers before 2pm, then a slight chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.



Imagine that, I'm running a race in May with the name McNaughton, how could it NOT be rainy or muddy?

I honestly have no idea what to expect this weekend in Vermont. When I originally signed up for this race. I had it in my head that I'd go 60 miles, and then see what was up from there. With the Grand Slam approaching very fast, my main goal is to not get injured. This race serves as the perfect place to not only get in plenty of hill work, but to shake out any cobwebs before I do head into the Slam. That is my true goal this weekend, to shake it out, get some miles in and get ready for the big 4 of this project. I have no support crew for this weekends race though I know I can rely on the Team Animal Camp guys if I need to. I have no official pacer though I have a few on stand-by if need be. With that being said, here are my goals for this weekends race:
1.) Run 60 Miles
2.) Finish 100
3.) Finish 100 in under 30 hours

I know that compared to my normal goals these seem a bit dulled down. This is exactly what I have in mind this weekend. Just heading out to spend time on my feet, avoid injury and figure out if I need anything in the next month and a half in preparation for Western States. But then again.. after having completed one loop at Barkley, it's easy to ask myself, "How bad can it be?" I'm stubborn, I'm resilient, and I can pretty much say that if I'm feeling all right, I'm going to push on to the end to attain another belt buckle from Race Director Andy Weinberg.

FOLLOW ME THIS WEEKEND ON TWITTER!
http://twitter.com/SherpaJohn