Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Big Q

Down With The Sickness?
It has indeed been an interested series of a few weeks. I went on an 8 day canoeing trip for my major with UNH. While on the trip, namely the second to last night, I suspect that I drank some "dirty water" and in turn swallowed the parasite known as Giardia or as I like to refer to it as "The Beaver Fever." Giardiasis (GEE-are-DYE-uh-sis) is a diarrheal illness caused by a microscopic parasite, Giardia intestinalis (also known as Giardia lamblia or Giardia duodenalis). Once a person or animal has been infected with Giardia, the parasite lives in the intestine and is passed in feces. Because the parasite is protected by an outer shell, it can survive outside the body and in the environment for long periods of time (i.e., months).

Anyway, long story short, I contracted Giardia which caused me to have diarrhea for 3 days with a fever of 103, nausea, the whole deal. On the third day I went to drink some water and I couldn't keep it in, so I went to the ER. This was on Tuesday the 9th. I've spent the last 10 days on a pill known as Flagyll. Flagyll is the single most horrendous item I have ever put into my mouth. It is a bitter pill that causes vertigo, has a metal after taste, causes you to lose your appetite and because of its flushing effect and incorporated use of the kidney's for processing... root beer colored urine with back pain.

With this being said, I have no idea how I 1.) Ran Pittsfield Peaks only finishing 7 minutes slower then last year and 2.) Ran the Pemi-Loop last week while obviously suffering from the side effects of the parasite and the pill while on the journey. I'm either an idiot, a freak of nature for being able to endure these things... or Both.

Unfortunately, for the month of June I've only run 3 times. 20 Miles, 54 Miles and 33 Miles. 103 Miles in 3 runs... I've really fallen off the Vermont 100 Bandwagon in terms of my training and I am in full blown panic mode. I want nothing more then to recieve my third straight buckle at the Vermont 100 in as many tries. It is also going to be my tenth run of 100 miles or more. I want to perform. I know I'm not going to be at my best... I haven't been all year... but I want to pull it out... I need to find a way to get in 3 weeks of decent training to get my legs into shape enough to take it on.... it all starts Monday... here goes nothin.