Monday, August 11, 2008

Home Again, Home Again...

What an amazing time we had on our vacation this past week and I still have today and tomorrow left! I'd LOVE to fill you all in on our adventure through New York and Ohio as well as introduce you to my extended family on my mothers side. Sarah and myself caravanned out and back with my sister, her husband and their two boys Kenny and Timmy. We had an awesome time filled with memories to last forever.
--------------------------------
Tuesday, August 5: Nashua, NH to Auburn, NY
We left Nashua and headed for New York State, our "fun" destination of the day was Cooperstown, NY and the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Unfortunately on the way, we somehow missed the way to I-90 West and ended up on I-87 North. We made it to Glens Falls before realizing the mistake (Doh!) but quickly corrected ourselves, headed back to Albany and right back on track. We made it to Cooperstown and enjoyed seeing the birthplace of baseball as well as the hall of fame and all it's artifacts.


I have to tell you that I have a new appreciation for the game of Baseball and its place as our national past time. If you don't get it... then head over to Cooperstown to try and understand for yourself. I also grew another new sense of appreciation for the rivalry that is Red Sox/Yankees. Even at the HOF, Sox fans gave the Yankees fans crap and vice versa as they walked around the museum. It was both funny and sad. I'm a Red Sox fan and always will be, its all in good fun to give the Yankee Fans some crap. :)


We then made our way to Auburn, NY after no luck in finding a room in Weedsport. Apparently there was a farm show in the area and most of the hotels were booked solid. We were steered to Auburn where we all crammed into a room. On Wednesday, my brother and I woke up and enjoyed a short run through the streets of this wonderful little town before taking off on our next adventure.
-----------------------------------
Wednesday, August 6, 2008: Auburn, NY to Geneva, OH via Niagara Falls
We loaded up the vehicles and headed for Niagara Falls. I'd never been to the falls before and was unsure what to expect. When we finally got there I was all spun around. I thought the St. Lawrence waterway dumped into Lake Ontario and then Erie as opposed to the way it actually does work, with the Great Lakes draining into the St. Lawrence. We ate lunch under the tree's near where the falls were first discovered. We had a gorgeous weather day to be here with a light breeze and the temps in the 70's. We walked over to the American Falls to get a closer look.

Amazed at the power flowing over the rocky earth.. we knew exactly what we had to do next. So.. we bought tickets to the Maid of the Mist Boats!

The boast take you right up into the whirlpool areas where the falls are. It was simply amazing as the spray rained down on us. By far one of the most powerful and exhilarating experiences of my life.

Then we walked up to the side of the American Falls for a closer look. Simply amazing!

We walked over to the Canadian side for a view from over there. Did you know that you have to pay a .50 cent toll to come back to America!? Either way, the view was phenomenal. (Running out of Adjectives)

We loaded back in the cars and headed for Ohio, stopping in Geneva on the Lake. We stayed in a pretty shady Howard Johnson's hotel for the night. The sheets on our bed had cigarette burns in them. Nice huh?! Either way, we just wanted sleep. Mike and I woke up early again for another short run through a new town. We made our way through the quiet town of Geneva as a rainbow hung in the sky above and a light rain fell.
----------------------------------------------
Thursday, August 7, 2008: Geneva, OH to Wooster, OH via Cleveland.
We made our way into downtown Cleveland where we finally got up close and personal with Lake Erie. We went to the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame which doesn't allow photography inside but we got a few shots from outside.


The Rock Hall was fun as they do a good job outlining Rock N' Rolls roots. You get a chance to see what musicians of old influenced the rockers of today. They have some great films, interactive exhibits and some pretty neat artifacts donated from artists themselves. What I think I enjoyed most were the Michael Jackson artifacts complete with outfits from Thriller and the "white glove."

The rest of the weekend was spent at my family reunion in Wooster, OH. 160+ of my relatives on my mothers side attended at some point during the weekend. We had our Friday Golf outing where my team was in a 3 way tie for first place at -5. We then had a pizza part and games Friday Night. Saturday we had a great lunch, games outside which consisted of Bean bags and Bocce Ball and it was followed up by the big party. We all got together for pictures. As well as pictures of our generations. I'm in the 2nd cousins. The party was top notch as we played flip cup, had 1,200 Jello shots (I had well over 30) and drank over 30 cases of Bud and Bud Light. Some of the fam enjoyed various bottles of wine. We got to hear about the history of our family. Celebrated those who had passed on and enjoyed the company of those of us who came. It was a great time and as always it was sad to leave.
(The Kobilarcsik's)

(2nd Cousin's - My Generation)

-------------------------
It's vacations like these that really help rejuvenate the soul. I'm a very lucky person. I have a loving (and huge) family who supports me in my adventures very much. I was shocked to learn how many of the family actually visits this blog regularly. While I have the opportunity. Cancer is a disease that largely affects my family. Some of our closest relatives are currently suffering with the affliction while others have succumbed to it. On the right of my page you'll see my Fundraising Thermometer for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, the charity I have chosen to run on behalf of. If you have not yet, or even if you have previously.. consider donating to my cause. Myself and my entire family thanks you and will keep you and yours in our prayers.

So.. unpacked today and off to the White Mountains tomorrow to meet up with Karl Meltzer as planned. Karl is currently running the Appalachian Trail and it looks like I'll be cutting the fog for him tomorrow as we try to beat the severe weather. Stay tuned!