Sunday, June 8, 2008

Weekend In Pittsfield

Friday, June 6, 2008

I arrived in Pittsfield, VT on Thursday Night ready for a weekend packed with excitement and race work. It was soggy and raining on Thursday AND Friday, so I took the opportunity to head over to Long Trail Brewery in Bridgewater Corners to hang out with my friends and sponsors there. In the visitors center I enjoyed an amazing Steak and Cheese Sub and a tall glass of Belgian White Ale fresh from the Brewery. It only cost me $12. I picked up a case of beer for next weekends race and a new shirt before heading out the door. It appears as though they'll be placing some of my race photos on their collage wall in the visitors center in the coming months. I'm very excited about it. If you are ever driving through on Route 4... please stop in and try out the ales and food. You'll love it I SWEAR!

I return to Mr. Hawleys for a nap followed by a damp but wonderful 6 mile run through the hills of PIttsfield. Doesn't matter where you go in PIttsfield.. you'll always go UP.
--------------------------------
Saturday

Myself, Dot Helling, Brenda Calwell-Phillips, John Izzo, Nate Sanel, Jeff Waldron and our special guest form the Czech Republic David Christof all got together to mark a major portion of the Pittsfield Peaks course. The race is next weekend and there is a lot of work that goes behind it. It took us 9 hours to run 31 miles in Pittsfield, and we only marked 25 miles of the course. The miles we did mark were the courses toughest. The Hayes Brook and Blood Root Loops. The picture above really doesn't do the terrain justice. Here, Jeff and I had stopped for a break while the others forged ahead on a VERY steep climb.. I'd say it was about a 45% grade that we had to walk on our tippy toes to negotiate. Simply amazing area!

While coming down off of Blood Root (Elev 3,450') we enjoyed some amazing views of the Green Mountain National Forest.

On the Other Side of Blood Root we enjoyed many miles of mud and stinging nettle. Here is Nate in all his glory!


There was plenty of mud too...

So the course is ready to go. PLenty of Mud, stinging nettle and tough climbs.. god bless everyone! I'm VERY excited about the race and hope that those of you who are coming will enjoy what we have in store for you. It WILL be the toughest 50 Miler many of you will ever run. WE STILL NEED VOLUNTEERS!

---------------------------
Sunday
I returned home Saturday Night and enjoyed a steamy night on the seacoast of NH courtesy of 90 degree temps. When we woke up on Sunday, there was only ONE place to go... THE BEACH. Sarah and I took a ride to Hampton and spent the day in the Water staying cool in the oceans 60 degree water. It was an amazing day. Only in New England can you spend one day at 3000 feet and the next at Sea Level.



Slow and steady my friends.... slow and steady!

SJ