Friday, June 20, 2008

The Pittsfield Death Race

What the hell am I doing?! There are 38 individuals registered for this weekend Death Race in Pittsfield, VT. Believe it or not.. I'm NOT the youngest but there are quite a few young guns in the race.. providing they show up. I have a backpack full of odds and ends, tools which I THINK might help me complete a few tasks. But how do you prepare for something like this? Nothing like using a 53 mile ultra as a warm up huh?

Read this from the RD:
"Packet Pick up 8 - 9 p.m. June 20th.
Mandatory Weigh In - 11 p.m. June 20th at the Amee Farm.
Mandatory Pre Race Meeting 12:30 a.m. June 21st at Amee Farm.
Mandatory Gear Check 2:00 a.m. June 21st at Amee Farm.
Race starts at 3 a.m. June 21st at Amee Farm."
As you can see... we have no choice but to be sleep deprived going IN to the race.

"24 Hours to Finish. $1,000 will be awarded to the first 5 that finish and all finishers receive a unique finishers award"
You can bet your ass I'm going for $1,000

"Mandatory Gear - Helmet (bicycle, football, hockey, motorcycle) or Construction Hard Hat, Ball Point Pen, Tape Measure, Headlamp, Batteries for Lights, Egg.
Optional Gear - Hand Saw, Duct Tape, Hand Loppers/Pruners, Hatchet, First Aid Kit, Backpack, Food, Bicycle, Extra Eggs, Bug Spray, Life Jacket."
I have all of the above but won't be carrying it all. I'll leave some at the Aimee Farm and take a chance in having to run back to get it. Running to and from Aimee farm would be a great chance to rest.

"What to expect: Mud, Water, Bugs, Chiseling, Pushing, Pulling, Carrying, Crying, Barbed Wire, Cement, Logs, Rocks, Roots, Culverts, Crawling, Climbing, Screaming, Crying, Sliding, Screaming, Crying, Sleep deprivation, hallucinations, dehydration, animal attacks, and death."
I'll be the dude crying the most for sure..

"Racers must bring all gear to check in. Support crew must check in at Amee Farm at 9 p.m. for instructions. Support crew should take this race as serious as you do. Support crew should have everything with them to assure the race staff that you and they can survive for 24 hours of Hell. Having a support crew may not be a benefit in this race."
I'm bringing my buddy Pete. I'm going to be the Best man in his wedding.. I figured we should BOND a bid huh? Besides... next weekend we're going to the Nascar Race. ; )

"The race staff has decided to add two more optional gear items: Shovel and Canoe. Don't break your egg!"
A Canoe?! Remember in High School when you had to drop an egg off a balcony and not break it? I've got quite the box with foam to protect my little guy.... and some extra eggs.

So we'll see how it goes. I have NO expectations for the race. My goal is to go have a good time and see how far I can go and how long I can last. Besides... I hear we have to run a wheel barrow full of gear up the Colton Camp hill we ran last weekend... and then do it again on last weekends Hell Section. All of you who ran Pittsfield Peaks last weekend... you no longer have anything to complain about. Just imagine hauling a wheelbarrow full of cement up and down those hills....

Thank god they give us 24 Hours.
OFF TO PITTSFIELD!